Monday, August 3, 2026

Procol Harum - Grand Hotel (1973)


 

The sixth album from this band from Great Britain.

The band was a quintet with a line-up of drums, percussion, bass, guitars, mandolin, piano, organ and vocals.

Three guests added spoons, guitars, recorder and soprano vocals.

The band returned again after a two years long break.

Grand Hotel clocks in at forty-two minutes.

The music here is a blend of symphonic prog and vaudeville rock.

I was a bit hesitant to start reviewing their albums after taking a ten years long break between A Salty Dog and Home. I have so far been pleasantly surprised. Very positively surprised, in fact. 

The music here has a great ambience. The music is very quirky throughout. It strikes out in all directions. Gary Brooker more than proves that he was a genius on this album. 

The blend of guitars, piano, organ and vocals here is superb. 

I am, in short, flabbergasted...and that in a positive sense. For me, this is their best album so far and a great album in its own right.

4 points  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment